"Standing here in front of you all today is the single hardest thing I have ever had to do. And standing here in front of you all today may not be the best idea. Because apparently, it’s not the norm to have a mom choose to eulogize her child. But for those of you that know me, you know I’m anything but a normal mom. And for those of you that knew my baby, you knew he was anything but a normal child. But that’s ok, because instead of ever being normal, CJ was always extraordinary.
Twenty years ago, John and I met this extraordinary little man. An adorable, mostly bald headed little guy that would change our lives forever.
And on that summer day all those years ago, as they placed him in my arms, I was the very first person to say hello to him.
Today, with my heart shattered in a million pieces, I will be the very last person to say goodbye.
It truly is the last gift I can give my beloved Shmoopy.
CJ was the light of our lives. He came into this world when John and I were practically babies ourselves. Yet, as young as we were, CJ’s arrival instantly felt right. We had no idea how to be parents and we had no idea what the future would hold, but we knew we loved that little man with an intensity that shocked us both.
Oh, how we loved him.
And we weren’t the only ones. CJ had a way, even as a baby, to make everyone love him.
I can honestly say, as I stand here, that my boy did that throughout his whole life.
CJ was, in the simplest of terms, a lover. A lover of life, a lover of friends and most importantly, a lover of family.
And for those of us that he loved, we sure knew it. Because CJ made us know it. And he made us remember it.
Thankfully, I have 20 years of memories of CJ loving on us. And although those memories will sustain us as we somehow find the strength to move forward without our precious firstborn, I can’t help cry out in anger that I don’t get to make more memories. That our future no longer holds the promise of many tomorrows as a family of four.
As CJ lay in that hospital bed, I told him how mad I was at him. How very, very mad I was that he took away my right to grow old watching my two boys live life to the fullest. But really, I wasn’t mad at all. I was and am, simply crushed. Crushed that I won’t get to see CJ be the man that I absolutely know he would have been, to see him be the wonderful daddy that I always knew he would be, and to see him walk proudly by his brothers side as they leaned on each other to navigate this crazy world.
Mostly though, I am crushed that I won’t get to see that smile again…that smile that has truly been melting the worlds heart since day one. CJ could and did light up a room simply by walking into it and flashing that big, beautiful, no braces necessary cheesy smile. It’s the cheesy smile he’s had since he was a toddler. It’s the cheesy smile you could see even when he happily toddled around with a giant rubber pacifier in his mouth. It’s the cheesy smile that was so big it touched every part of his face. It will forever and always be MY cheesy smile.
It’s a smile I hope you all remember as you think about our beloved son.. as you remember how you met him, how you knew him or how he touched your life. I hope that each and every one of you thinks of my baby now and again, with a smile on your face…a big fat cheesy smile if you can manage it. And I hope with all my might that his legacy of joy and his zest for life lives on within us for eternity.
CJ, you were my everything. And I’d give ANYTHING to have you back.
*I want you back so you can poke me over and over and over until I’m just about ready to scream.
*I want you back so you can hug me more in one setting than any one person can actually tolerate.
*I want you back so you can argue with me and roll your eyes, as if to say, “yeah right mom, whatever."
*I want you back so you and Connor can argue over what color jello to bring dad and I in the nursing home.
*I want you back so you can strut around in front of the mirror and tell us how truly good looking you really are.
*I want you back so you can walk through our front door and yell out, “well, hello there” to announce your arrival.
*I want you back so you can steal my Diet Coke and I can threaten to ground you if you don’t give it back.
*I want you back so you can tell me that I didn’t fail as your mom.
Mostly CJ, I just want you back to drive me crazy. Cuz boy oh boy, Shmoops, did you drive us crazy. You were not easy to parent, not easy at all. You were an old soul from day one and you sure knew how to push our buttons. But I’d give anything to have you push them all at one time again. Crazy, huh? Bet you’d never think you’d hear your mom give you permission to do that CJ, did you?
And I know CJ, that you CAN hear me. Because parts of you live on in others even as I speak. Can’t believe that it was just one year ago that you sat in Boston and listened to me read the letter I wrote to the family that donated a heart to your grandfather. You sat and cried as I thanked that family for giving the greatest gift any family can give to another. You hugged me and told me how proud you were of me.
And now today, I sadly sit on the other side of that equation. Today, because of you, not only do I know what it’s like to have a loved one receive the gift of life, but I now know what it’s like to have a loved one give the gift of life. And you know what CJ? I would have preferred to have never known that second part. Leave it to you to make me really put my money where my mouth is. Guess you knew that Dad and I would have the strength to carry out your wishes and give of you to help so many others. You really did like to have the last word didn’t you kiddo?
CJ, I pray that you’ve finally found the peace that you were looking for and that you are no longer suffering. I pray that although we will never truly be completely happy again, that you are now happier than you’ve ever been. I pray that you will watch over us all and help us each find a new normal without you. I especially pray that you stick close by Connor and help guide him on his journey. You may not be with him physically anymore but as your mom I INSIST you stay with him in spirit. He’s going to need to know that his big brother will always be there for him as he will always be there for you.
CJ, when you were about 2 ½ years old, and you wanted something from us, you would place your hands on daddy’s or my cheeks, look straight into our eyes and boldly ask, “ARE YOU SINKIN’ WHAT I’M SINKIN‘?
Well now CJ, it’s Dad and I that hold your precious face as we ask you the same thing. “Are you SINKIN’ what we're sinkin’?"
“Are you sinkin’ that we will miss you every day of our lives? Are you sinkin’ that we are honored that you chose us to be your mom and dad? And are you sinkin’ that we will always love you with that same intensity that we felt from the get go?"
CJ, I may not ever be able to tell you what to do again, but I’m telling you now as the last mom words I ever get to say to you, you BETTER be sinkin' those things.
Cuz Shmoopy, no truer words have ever been spoken.
I love you.
43 comments:
I am in tears.
Oh, Hallie... beautiful words.
Your strength and grace are immeasurable. Your sadness and sorrow are deep. But you are stepping forward a little each day and are so loved by so many.
Thank you for honoring all of your readers by sharing something so personal and intimate.
Hallie...what amazing words from an amazing mother, wife, daughter, aunt, friend, etc. To have the strength and courage to stand up in front of everyone, to read those words, to feel your sorrow. Truly amazing, there is no doubt how much you love your family.
I still come here daily hoping for a post. Wishing to see some words from you, any words. For those of us that could not attend CJ's services...THANK YOU! Thank you for sharing those words with us. I may not know you in person, but not a day goes by that I don't think about you, John and Connor.
Please know Hallie that there are so many people, all around that world and care about you and will help you through this nightmare you are living. Lean on them, lean on all of us.
Hugs to you and your family...
Laura, Tampa, FL
Thank you so much for sharing this with us. I pray for you and your family daily and I hope you can feel the comfort of that from all of those that know you. CJ will never be forgotten.
oh my... i found my way here through my friend holly's blog, artistmotherteacher.com and i just wanted to let you know how very sorry i am for your loss.
i have a 2 year old little boy... i'm only 29 years old... and my heart breaks when i read of the death of a young adult. unfortunately i have witnessed this more than i wish.
sharing your eulogy is nothing short of incredible. thank you for sharing your son with your readers.
sending you light, love and healing through your grief.
and thank you for commenting on holly's site.
As I sit here in tears typing this...YOU REALLY are one hell of a woman to be able to do that! I know that your son is sinkin everything that you said to him....Love you Hal!
You are amazing. I'm speechless.
I cant even imagine the strength it took to get through that... but what powerful, touching words... what an amazing, STRONG woman you are!!!!
HUGS!!!!!
Wow Hallie.....thank you for sharing this with us. You are an incredible woman. You probably don't feel like it, but you are. It is so clear that there is so much love among all of you in your family. Use it to give you the strength day to day. And as hard as it is, try to smile. Because when you smile, CJs smile shines too.
I hate that you are hurting so badly.
i can't imagine how you are feeling.
my thoughts of strength, hope and life are with you all.
Hallie, Beautifully written. Thank you for sharing your wonderful family with all of us readers.
My heart hurts for you.
Much love sent your way. ♥
Brandy
Hallie,
I know exactly where CJ was when you read this....
His arm was around
your shoulder. "GOOD JOB MOM".
I have NO DOUBT that he was right beside you as you sat composing it and choosing the perfect words to say.
Your heart spoke and those were perfect words.
Thank you so much for sharing them here on your blog.
Those of us who could not be there to HUG and support you ...
well, we've sent and continue to send.....
OUR LOVE & LIGHT TO YOU ~ Always.
Love
Deb
Beautiful and sad and heart-breaking. HUGS to you all!
No mother should ever have to eulogize a child, but you stepped up and did an amazing job. I am crying as I read it but I can see a little chubby cheeked boy saying "are you sinkin what I'm sinkin?" Your words brought CJ's memory to life for even me, who never really knew him.
Hallie,
That was a beautiful tribute to CJ. It made me cry again, for his life that was cut short and for the pain that your family is going though.
I'm here always! Always praying, even though I don't always have the right words, always willing to listen, and always holding you close in my thoughts and in my heart!
Love ya,
Steph
It's a beautiful letter to your son. Because of my faith in God I know in my heart that he heard your every word. He knows how much you love him and miss him. I want to thank you for sharing this letter with me. When I think of the days that I get angry with my children I realize just how precious each moment is and that I must take hold of this time that I have with them. My prayers and thoughts are with you. I pray for your comfort and strength, holding your sorrow deep within me. (HUGS)
You are stronger than most because I really don't know if I could eulogize my child in a way that you have done.
I pray that you feel CJ's spirit surrounding all of you, ALL THE TIME.
I'm thinking and praying for you all.
Hallie,
I am completely blown away at the strenght and courage you have. You brought CJ back to life for all of us if only for a little while through your powerful words. What an amazing family you all are...
It is beautiful and so very touching.
Thank you for sharing it.
I wish that I had the word skills to adequately share with you my continuing prayers/care/love for you. My heart is with CJ, with you, John and Connor. Each and every day.
Hallie, thank you for sharing this. I have no idea how you managed to do this. Your strength is amazing and you are a wonderful, wonderful Mom.
God was by your side along with CJ.
No one who knew CJ will ever forget him.
Sending you light and love and I continue to pray for all of you that your hearts will heal in time. Love you and sending big hugs, sweetie.
I find it amazing that you could eulogize your child so honestly and lovingly. you have always been an amazing woman in my eyes, but this makes you even more so. Hugs and prayers continue for all of you.
I am blown away. It was beautiful and profound. A wonderful tribute to CJ.
From the moment I clicked on the link in Facebook I knew what I was about to read, and the tears started rolling.
Your words are so profound that my own cannot express how they felt to read.
I never wanted to hear these words from you, or anyone I know. Ever. Never, ever. I don't want to read them now.
Hal, if there was ever anything any one of us could do to wake you up from this nightmade, but there isnt.
All we can do is love you.
And never forget CJ.
We will do both always!
Oh Hals, more eloquent, heart-felt, loving words have ever been spoken.
As always, you are in my thoughts and prayers. My heart will always be open to you. You are a mom. And as a mom, you WILL forever do whatever you must for both of your sons. This was an incredible gift for both of them.
love,
Deb
Oh Hallie, I just have no words to respond to this. It's incredible. xoxoxo
What an amazing, heartfelt eulogy Hallie. You are a very brave woman... and a darn sight braver than me. I doubt I could stand up and say all that at anyone's funeral, let alone a child of mine's. {{{HUGS}}}
Oh Hallie, what a gift you have given to me. The most prolific writer could never have written a more beautiful, heartfelt, Spot-on-CJ tribute to one of the finest young men I will ever have the opportunity to know. You captured CJ and the love that not only CJ had for us but the love that we have for CJ. This road won't be easy but I know you and your drive and you will spend your time keeping CJ doing what he did best...helping others get through the moment. Who better than you? We may only hold our children for a little while but they hold our hearts forever. Love you, my phenomenal friend and sister.
No words, Hallie. Just wishing you all the very best as you find your way in life without your precious CJ.
My middle sister and I gave our baby sister's eulogy almost two years ago now. She passed in a devastating single-car accident, leaving a husband, three daughters, a stepson, and five grandkids behind. I still feel her presence, and I hope I always will.
Many hugs and good thoughts,
Kimber
Hallie, i just read your tribute and WOW! You've always been a fantastic and fun author of your blog, but this, well, this was just amazing. and beautiful. Anyone that reads this will know how much CJ was loved and what an amazing person her was, and still is in the hearts of all that knew and loved him.
Hal:0
Truly touched. Moved. Sympathetic. Sorrowful.
May your CJ rest in peace.
May God himself comfort you and my sincerest condolences.
I have read this over and over and still don't know what to say. Never has a more moving or accurate tribute been written. It means so much to me to have you share this with all of us, especially since I know, like me, a lot of us wished we could have been there in person on the day you read it. You are such a strong and amazing woman, to be able to not only write something like this, but get up in front of everyone on the hardest of days and read it aloud. My heart still breaks for you and I know CJ loved what you had to say. And you are the best possible mother he could have had. In no way did you ever fail him. You loved him unconditionally and that is beautiful.
I love you my friend. I wish I could take all your pain away.
My biggest fear in life is that something will happen to my children for I have never loved anyone in my life like I love them. I would not know how to exist without them. I have thought about what I would do if something happened to either of them and quite frankly I don't know that I would be able to go on. Until now...until you. I've also never thought about donating my kids organs, god forbid should anything ever happen...until now...until you.
My heart aches so badly for you and I cry a mother's tears for your heart.
Life is short...Love is long.
God be with you and your family Hallie.
Hallie,
I am so sorry that the inspiration for this truly beautiful tribute to your son came at such a terrible price.
You continue to make those of us who know you proud of your strength and your courage, and astonished by your grace and the example you set.
Wherever CJ is, I know his love for you is as strong as yours is for him.
Thinking of you,
Paul
I am a silent follower of your blog.....I have no words....
My heart and prayers go out to you and your family. Thank you for the touching post about your beautiful son.
All my love to you and your family Hallie.
I am sobbing for you here. I found your blog through Jessica Bern.
I am so sorry for all of you. For your pain as a mother, for your husband to lose his firstborn boy, and for your youngest son, who so obviously adored his older brother.
I pray that the days pass quickly so you can hold your sweet baby again.
I sincerely pray for that.
But, I also know how suicide devastates. All the unknown answers, why didnt we know? WHy didn't they turn to us?
My father killed himself in our basement. WHY? WHY? We don't know.
Hallie I am so amazed at the grace with which you have weathered this terrible tragedy so far. I'm not sure I would have the ability to give my child's eulogy. Thank you for sharing this with those of us who were unable to be there to pay our respects. I can't tell you how much I wish that you did not have to go through this, but I'm sure it's nowhere near as much as you are wishing the very same thing.
Lots of hugs and prayers and know you have people who think of you daily, praying that you find the strength you need each morning.
Hallie
Thank you for sharing such personal and painful post
Your words are a beautiful tribute to a son you loved dearly. I can't imagine your pain, but your transparency helps me see just a glimpse into your intimate and painful journey.
I am praying for you and your family as you learn to find the new path in life without CJ.
You are a strong courageous and amazing mother.. Conner is honored to have you and CJ was deeply blessed.
((((((Hallie))))
Still praying for all of you. XO!
A lovely, moving post.
Jon
A lovely, moving post.
Jon
Hallie,
my heart breaks for you & your family! I had fallen so behind in my blog reading & just today found out about your loss of CJ. I just sobbed when it hit. Your eulogy was beautiful and amazing. There is grace in pain, and you exemplify it! My prayers today are for your & the Twomey family. Much love from me & my Bella Girl.
Christy
How ironic; that while I'm guessing that you (like Molly) wished you could take his pain from him, you now have it. (Does that make any sense at all?) Thank you very much for sharing this, Hallie; I wished I could be there, and now I feel a tiny bit better.
Beautiful, but I'm so sorry you had to write it.
Post a Comment