Notice anything SLIGHTLY amiss with the above package? Wonder if this is the newest RAGE in wrapping gifts - the "window" technique? (show a little of what's inside just to get the person THINKING.) Think that maybe, just maybe the recipient of said gift might be a TAD peeved at the condition of their present? Well, I'm peeved, A WHOLE BUNCH, and there is one snausage-like wiener dog to blame. I came home yesterday to find this gift totally separate from the rest. This ONE gift was pushed all the way to the right of the tree - sort of the "cheese stands alone" syndrome. I immediately thought to myself, "self, why the heck is that gift way over to the right?," and "self, why is that gift (that's way over to the right) surrounded by/covered in very small pieces of colored confetti?" That should have been an immediate give away - I HATE CONFETTI of any sort - I wouldn't bring that crap into my house if you paid me to. Truth be told, I hate ANYTHING that comes in lots of little pieces....packing peanuts (they just keep showing up), Legos (damn things multiply at night), M&M's (oh wait, scratch that one - me loves me some M&M's!) etc. But I digress...
Point is, I would never decorate around the tree with small items. No fake snow, no tinsel, no nothing. So, I knew, when I saw "small items" something was wrong. VERY, VERY WRONG. As I walked toward the box, I noticed one of the two normally "happy to see me" wieners, attempting to walk out of the room "crocodile style." Picture an already VERY LOW TO THE GROUND dog, trying desperately to get EVEN LOWER. (like a soldier crawling commando style using his elbows - not an easy task for a doxie - they don't HAVE elbows!) Had there not been a destroyed gift at hand, his attempts might have been comical. But, as flags started flying and bells started ringing in my pea brain, I got pissed. All pieces (well, except for the little ones scattered around the box way to the right) fell into place. CHAUNCEY + PRESENT + LITTLE PIECES OF CONFETTI LIKE SUBSTANCE = NOT, NOT, NOT PRICELESS.
We will NOT, NOT, NOT be telling the recipient of said gift, that it was THEIR gift that was devoured. After opening the rest of the box, we deduced (love that word) that the gift was actually ok - just a tad soggy. We left it to dry overnight, found a brand new "confetti free" box and are ready for attempt #2. The gift recipient shall be none the wiser/blissfully unaware that their gift damn near died an untimely dachshund related death. (a surprisingly common Holiday time event, I might add) But one "guilty as charged" wiener shall continue to get the "stink eye" whenever I look at him. (and he HATES the stink eye!)
Enough about the gift.....DO YOU KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS? (no, not Tool Time) DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT TODAY IS? DO YOU LOVE HOW I'M YELLING? SHMOOPY IS COMING HOME!!!!!!! We are tickled. And elated. And excited. And ready to burst. As I type, CJ is probably up and getting ready to hop on a shuttle to head to the airport. For those of you smarty pants out there (who already figure it out) that means CJ is getting on a shuttle at 3:50AM (his time) UGH. His flight leaves at 6:05 am (his time) which meant he had to hop the VERY EARLY shuttle from the base to the airport. Surprisingly, he seemed ok with it - think coming home has made him a VERY HAPPY SHMOOPY!
He promised to call and let us know if his flights are on time. Unfortunately, Maine is supposed to get anywhere from 1" - 6" of snow this evening. And of course, CJ's flight is supposed to arrive from New York at 7:28 pm. We are keeping our fingers crossed that his flights are on time and uneventful. We will head down to the airport as a collective group (with signs!!) and await the arrival of one AIRMAN FIRST CLASS SHMOOPY.
Wanted to say thanks to Michelle from my Air Force parent support group. She recently made an extra trip to her local base to pick me up a few goodies for a certain Airman. She was great - just like my own personal shopper! She gave me a list of items I could choose from, the prices of said items and then waited for my order. How great is that? I can't really tell you WHAT she got me but I can say that I have "goodies" for the aforementioned Airman for years to come (note to self....please, please, please don't throw them out in one of your minimalist modes)
When I got the package, Michelle included the above coin as a gift - from one Air Force mom to another. Do I belong to the nicest support group ever? First Dora gets me an ornament and now Michelle. I'm just so impressed. I offered to send them snow from Maine but neither took me up! :-) The coin is wonderful and means a lot to me. Thanks Michelle, you're the best! (she also tucked a little gift in for Connor - could she BE any nicer?) :-)
I apologize if this entry is a little "all over the road." Or a little discombobulated. (best word ever!) Or a little scattered. Or lacking its normal mellifluous flow (ha!) I just can't seem to stay focused. My brain is running on HYPER SPEED and I 'm ready to crawl out of my skin. And I can't imagine it's going to get any better as the day goes on.
T minus NO MORE DAYS and counting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
33 comments:
CJ IS ALMOST HOME!!!!!!!! Hark the herald and sing angels sing!
So, have you slayed the fatted calf and made CJ all his favorite food/been to the grocery store and stocked up for our Shmoopy?
What a bad dachsie! Tsk, tsk. Mine have never messed with a present. Now when their Christmas stockings are hung with the Beggin' Strips in them, they turn into 4 dachsies leaping. But we have a new kid on the block this year...the girls adopted a black lab named Molly and this girl has a reach span that is unbelievable. She can clear the kitchen island in a single stroke. So nothing may be safe this Christmas. She's still a puppy but in a large body.
Christmas is coming early for your family tonight and when you catch your breath, give AFC CJ a hug from another of his "other mothers". Couldn't be happier for you Hallie that your son is coming home!
Haha! I am laughing at that torn present only becuase the exact same thing happened to me last nite!! Lenny ripped into a x-mas bag and yanked out a whole bag of hershey kisses. luckily for him, i got to that sneaky sausage before he could eat any chocolate. The cute x-mas bag is ruined though!! oh, that Sausage!! hehe. :)
Have a good one, Hallie! :)
A week ago I had no idea who CJ was and this morning over 1st cup of coffee I found myself looking at clock and wondering if CJ was heading to airport yet! I catch myself humming "Twelve Days of "Christmas" and think of my new friend Hallie and how EXCITED she must be.
I want to thank Hallie and the wonderful AF Moms/Dad Support Group for letting me know I will survive and bringing such joy to my heart this Christmas!
IT'S ALMOST TIME HALLIE! Please give CJ a big hug from NC...we are so proud of you both!
P.S. Minimalist here too but have ONE big special Air Force tote box of my precious memories. It's a grey one when actually I should change it to blue!
Yeah! He'll be home today!
Oh, the dog related gift syndrome. We've been down that road. So, did it contain dog treats or something? We once had a dog open and eat a pound of fudge. On Christmas Eve while we were at church. Do you call the vet and have the lethal stuff pumped out of it's stomach or not?
Our dogs are adding a new dimension to Christmas this year. Apparently, since there's a real live tree in the living room, and nature is where you do your business, it's perfectly acceptable to just leave a deposit under the evergreen. All kinds of fun going on here.
HAHA! It's a package with a "WIENER WINDOW"!!! Ya know, that Chauncey is a handsome specimen, but he does have a slight "troublemaker" look about him :)...
Today is the day, Hallisicle. And all of us who joined in the countdown? Well, we are not FLUMMOXED that you are DISCOMBOBULATED! Two of my favorite words? But I'm adding MELLIFLUOUS...so thank you for that. You are a good friend and scholar...hehehe. I am so excited for your Airman Shmoop to be there with you. Promise, promise, please promise to give him a big hug from me. CANNOT WAIT FOR TOMORROW'S POST!
Oh Hallie, I just could NOT be any happier for you!! How on Earth are you going to be able post when you've got your Shmoopy there?? {sigh} What a wonderful Christmas you all will have.
You know, I've wanted a dog for quite some time now. BBM just won't take the bait (or the Beggin' Strips). However, this is one of those things that makes me glad I don't have one, lol. I know I'd get over it, but darn if that's not frustrating!!
So are we going to get guest posts from Shmoops himself? How exciting! How does one go about getting the address of where he'll be in the future to send surprises?
I heard CJ was delayed- our thoughts and prayers are with him...and you while you wait. What a wonderful gift to have him home, Enjoy! Merry Christmas!!
Hallisicle--Go back to my blog, please :).
I'm having a tad bit of a different problem with my cat. She thinks the Christmas tree is for her to climb and the balls hanging on it are her personal play toys. :)
Hope CJ isn't delayed too much and makes it home safe and sound.
I stopped putting bows on my presents because I have a cat that loves to take them off and bat them around the house. And I've tried just giving him his own, it doesn't work! So I know all about that stink eye! ;)
Less than 12 hours now! I hope CJ gets in on time and that darn white stuff doesn't mess things up!
This is truly a happy day at the Twomey house....I am so happy to know he is on his way home to you all.
LOL.....Thats my little Monster for you....hehehehe. Love you Chauncey Monster... Oh Hallie, does Chauncey still wake up at 5:30am every day? I loved it, cause he would sneak in my room and grab the blanket and try to run with it.
Love to you all
Scott
I can't wait to see pictures of the signs and CJ's face when he gets off the airplane!!! YEA!!! :) I'm so glad to hear he's almost there!
I am so glad that your son is coming home!!
I hope you have a beautiful holiday!
Marla
Oh HAPPY DAY!!!!!!!!
I'm so terribly excited for you . . .I keep checking out MY window like somehow you all are just going to "appear" and surprise ME today! LOL
Can't wait to hear all about the homecoming - got my kleenex ready:)
Tons of hugs for everyone there in ME from IA - I'm there with you anxiously awaiting in spirit.
PS Bad Dog! *stink eye* Bad Dog!
When you say "stink eye", are you referring to one of your eyes or are you talking about another body part?
I know exactly what you are talking about. My bad, one day I forgot to close the gate to the dogs room and when my husband got home there were three packages that needed to be repaired. Two just need to be re-wraped but one had th ebox chewed up as well. The item is still good though. I remember Christmas of 2005 was the first year that the tree was in the family room (instead of the formal living room) so the dogs could see. Well just as I was walking into the room to start puttin gornaments on the tree my Brutus decided to let his leg and have his own indoor potty. I screamed, husband through remote control and Brutus has never tried to use the indoor potty since. I am glad you like your coin. Be sure and put the other things in a place where you will remember wher eyou put them. That would be my problem. "Now where did I put those?" It is 11 now so that means CJ has been in the air for 2 hours! How exciting. My girl graduates today at 2pm and then they are hitting the road tomorrow at 1pm to drive straight through to Florida. I sent her a Garmin with my address pre-loaded since she has never been here and I am sure I will be calling her every hour to check where she is. We expect lots of pictures Hallie. Have the merriest of Christmas's you can have.
Michelle (pafm)
Hallie I just absolutely love reading your blog. I have never blogged before, but you have inspired me to start one. So...I started my first blog today and if anyone would like to read it they are more than welcome to. You can find it at panske.blogspot.com. I wish CJ and your entire family a Happy Holiday season and look forward to the posts while he is home.
The gift story was funny and I loved how you kept pointing out through your post the words you love (deduced, discombobulated - I don't even know how to spell that word - but it is a good word). I know you are excited about CJ coming home - and you should be. Hope all goes well and he makes it home quickly. Take care. Kellan
yayayayayaya....I am giddy for you.
It's ok that the post was all over the place, you had me at "the cheese stands alone..."
:)
Merry Christmas Hallie!! I know this week is gonna get super busy for us both, so in case we don't check in as much, enjoy those boys of yours!
MapperSnapper.com
Is he home yet? How about now? Is CJ home now? What about now? Now?
(If I found a gift like that in the house, I'd be kicking some bulldog butt. I wouldn't have to see it happen to know she was the one that did it.)
lol I laugh every time I read "Schmoopy" (because I call my son "Schmoo" (or big schmoo))
Are you slightly excited he's coming home? Hmmm, are ya???
Don't smother him with kisses, you might embarass him, heehee.
And hey, your dogs just wanted a peek at what was inside, maybe it smelled like kibble to them!
YEAH!!! The day is finally here and we are all on pins and needles waiting for CJ to get off that plane and into the loving, anxious arms of his family. Don't forget one hug is reserved for this AF Momma, who won't get to see her girl this year(again, sigh). Looking forward to lots of pics and a slightly less discombobulated(hehe) Hallie.
Bad dog, bad, bad, dog! My Airman is having a different problem with her little Roxie(a rat terrier)she thinks the tree is her domain and likes to leave little presents under it for my girl and her hubby, LOL!! Just what you want to find under the tree(or any where else for that matter) after a tough, long 12 hour day guardig in and around our nations capital.
Well, gotta run, I know I need to update my blog too but been very very busy. Maybe later I will.
Sue T
PAFM and PAFMIL
ps Michelle you are the TOPS!!!
He is there with you AS I WRITE!!! Yay!!
Emily R
Happy for you today... I know how excited you must be!
And... this is why the Chihuahuas are not allowed in the front room unsupervised.
Dogs!
WHOO! Today is Schmoopy Day! Enjoy your boys, Hallie. I know that today will be a wonderful one for your whole family.
I will be sending those gift cards to Conner and CJ via Amazon, in the next couple of days. Also, I will be posting the winner of the drawing on my site, later today.
Hugs,
Deb
Ok, I've seen you weiners. now you can have alook at mine
Bwahahahahahaahahahahaah!!!!!!
We all have our fingers crossed....Hope you are together soon...you deserve it.
The dogs are conspiring.
Here is the proof.
Yay! I am so happy for you!! Hopefully CJ is home by the time you read this....and I'm hoping that you're only on here when CJ's sleeping!!! Spend every spare minute with that kiddo...we would totally understand.
Naughty naughty wiener. LOL I totally visualized the commando crawl! Tee hee! Here's to all the best with your family :)
Yay for CJ coming home..I can tell you are so excited! I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and enjoy your time with him before he moves on to his assignment!
Oh and bad bad bad doggy! (but how cute!)
Ohhh u gotta love the 4 legged family members. They always have to get themselves included somehow!!! Glad the pressie survived
Bet you'll be up all night! Have a wonderful visit. Will CJ be coming back to Fairchild near Spokane?
Funny furry friends! My pet bobcat smacked all the ornaments into the kitchen, pulled the tree down then dragged it down the hallway. I found her trying to get it up on my bed. A slightly munched gift isn't so bad! Your pups are feeling your excitment as are we!!
Post a Comment